This Side of Third

…and second

The First Three Days

August27

Wow.  The kids have only been back for three days and I already feel like it’s been a month.  I feel overwhelmed and unprepared and far behind where I think I should be.  I need to keep reminding myself that it’s only been three days.

I look around and I see teachers who have their “stuff” together and seem to be rocking the year already, while I have a very blank lesson plan book.  I’m flying by the seat of my pants.

First day: I drove the entire way to work (11 miles) with a police car behind me.  All I (and every teacher) wanted to do was fly like a bat out of hell to school and get the rest of my room set up before the kids arrived.  Nope.  I had to creep along at 35 MPH.  As I pulled into the parking lot, I broke a nail.  I was so tired and frazzled that morning that I started the Keurig without putting my cup under the spout.  Then I lost my badge.  I hate that thing.

Second day: I had a wedding to attend that night and never got the chance to paint my nails.  Typically not a problem, right?  The wedding was three hours away.  It started at 6:00.  I work until 4:00.  Problem.  I dressed for travel and wore sneakers, forgetting I still had to paint my nails.  Luckily, the was no cop behind me that morning and I sped to work to arrive early.  I shut the room door, threw open the window and stripped off my shoes and socks.  Yes…I painted my fingernails and toenails at work.  For those of you tsk-tsking me,  I was on my time and not school’s, as I was there over an hour early.  So I had to run around and get my day ready in my bare feet and only using the palms of my hands.

Third day: Nothing much to report.  You know, typical Monday.  Feet dragging, mouths yawning, directions repeated several times, underwear found on the playground.  Yep…women’s neon green and black zebra-striped undies were found on the playground.  Ew.  Just ew.

I hope your first three days were are strange and frenetic as mine were.  It keeps you on your toes. Have a most wonderful school year!

by posted under Teaching | No Comments »    

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Skip to toolbar